Friday, June 20, 2008

Is the Phase 3 of the Bear Market near ?

Marking the Bear Market Phases . . .



As per the Dow Theory (relating to Technical Analysis) Bull Markets and Bear markets have three phases. You will find a somewhat detailed discussion on this in the Indian context on Page no. 37 of my book.

Since July 2007 (a year back), while explaining the Dow Theory , I have been indicating to the participants of my workshops that , at that time, we were nearing the last phase of the Bull market characterized by extremely high retail participation.

More recently, after the Jan 08 crash, I was again suggesting to the participants that the first phase of the bear market seems to have started which should be followed in subsequent months by a deterioration of the fundamentals. In the ensuing months we did see economic and corporate fundamentals weaken- lower profits, slowdown, rising inflation, crude oil et al.

I presume we are currently in the second phase of the bear market which may still last some more weeks before the Phase 3 starts.

I have tried to mark the phases of the bear market on the Nifty chartthough it may not be too accurate in terms of time. I presume the ‘H & S’ pattern on the Nifty / Sensex and it’s subsequent violation of the neckline , is only further validating that we are about to enter the phase three in the coming weeks.

My belief that -‘Prices tell you more about the future than Annual reports’ is getting stronger!

All of you ….Fasten your seat belts !

CA Rajiv D Khatlawala

5 comments:

Elliot Wave India said...

Mr Rajiv

I have read that page....:-)

Quite impressive mark out on Charts!

You are master of your field!

Unknown said...

Thanks for the compliment ..
BUT as Earnest Hemingway has said " We are all apprentices in this field , where no one ever becomes the master" !!!
CA Rajiv

Tryin2Trade said...

Rajiv
Nice analysis...I like the way you put your views. I myself am a student of technical analysis and learn a lot of things here. I put my incoherent ramblings here: tryin2trade.blogspot.com

Mustafa said...

Everyday is a good learning experience with you. Luckily your book was just next to me and I referred to the entire Dow Theory Section again and compared it with the above chart.

Anonymous said...

I am at learning phase and your analysis shows the right path and guide us in this Market.
Thanks.